Friday, September 5, 2008

Ever met a Myrtie?


I've only met one Myrtie. She was my aunt and my dad's sister. She taught school for 40 years. She was a farmer's wife. She was tough, pioneer stock, loving, a camper, a fisher, great cook, a shaker and a mover. She got results and could organize people. Myrtie was my dad's first school teacher in a one-room schoolhouse. One story he told was about him popping off to her one day and calling her "ole Myrt" in front of all the other students. She wore him out with the paddle and then when he got home he got paddled again from his dad. Everyone loved Myrtie. She and Uncle Roy never had children of their own, but did have 22 nieces and nephews. Each one of us spent time with with them on the farm, usually during the summer. I helped bailing hay, hauling hay, harvesting from the huge garden, working cattle and horses. We played a little too. We would ride horses, go fishing, go camping, go square dancing, play cards and dominos. There was a lot of room to explore. I even took a go-kart there for a while and a minibike another time. Myrtie made you feel special. Young or old, she valued you and saw the good in you. She was a very positive person and it was contagious. You can mention the name Myrtie to anyone in my family and they will start reminiscing good times. She held a special place in everyones heart. Myrtie whipped me once. I'm sure I had it coming. It tore her up though. She went off by herself and cried for a while. Uncle Roy said "now look what you did." People like Myrtie make this world a better place. I hope she rubbed off on some of us. Her example was a fine one. She truly had a servants heart. I'm grateful to have had a Myrtie in my life. I hope you have one too, even if by another name.

Myrtie Ethel Smith Collins Born: Dec 6, 1908 Death: Feb 11, 1975

1 comment:

Pam Smith said...

Everyone need to have a Aunt Myrtie in they life she were special. Jay I have enjoy reading these story's some of them I never heard them.
Love Pam