Thursday, July 24, 2008

the go kart

I remember when ...
I was about 8 or 9 years old. We were visiting Uncle Roy and Aunt Myrtie. For some reason, dad, me and Roy went a few miles over to Roy's brothers farm. His name was Ralph. In my wandering around the barn I found an old go kart. It was really a frame and motor missing a fiberglass car body. Story was that a grass fire burnt the body.
Ralph said we could have the kart. Dad loaded it in the trunk somehow. We got it home and dad would go out and work on it at night. Dad liked tinkering with motors. This motor was froze-up. It would not turn over at all.
I don't recall how long, maybe a few weeks later I was laying on the living room floor and watching TV. Mom was there with me and all the sudden a motor started up in the garage. It didn't have the muffler on so it was very loud. I ran to the garage and there stood dad over the kart, tuning the carburetor. I could not believe the thing was running. We brought this thing home covered in rust from end to end.
The next night dad had the kart back together enough to ride. We rolled it out of the garage, fired it up and dad sent me down a dead end street and back. Wow! That was fun! I think he got nervous about the police showing up though because we didn't keep riding. Before long, like the horse, the kart eventually ended up at Uncle Roy and Aunt Myrtie's farm. I could ride it all I wanted there. Only problem was I didn't stay there all the time. I still got a lot of riding time in over the next few years.
What great memories.
Thanks to Dad & Ralph

2 comments:

Pam Smith said...

Hey blog that neat you said you don't know what write about I feel the same way myself we can learn together.
You are doing great keep it up.
Love Pam

Tippy's Place said...

I am so excited you have started a blog!!!! I have enjoyed reading your entries!