Saturday, July 12, 2008

My earliest driving experience

I remember .....
As a small boy while traveling to see relatives way out in the country, my dad would place me on his lap and let me steer the the car. I couldn't come close to reaching peddles. He would let me steer, but kept a hand close to the wheel in case I needed a little help.
I spent time with my Aunt Myrtie and Uncle Roy on the farm as a child. They had no children, so me and all my cousins took our turn on the farm. I learned a lot there. Uncle Roy bailed a lot of hay each year. Him and other farmers would do it together. I went along and was probably more in the way than anything else. Roy was pretty good about including me though.
I remember being about 10 years old and the hay baler was messing up some of the time. Uncle Roy was always repairing the equipment. This was before the big round bales. We were making the small rectangular bales that you can pickup by hand. They were coming out of the baler standing on end which caused a problem for the loader that picked it up later to be stacked on a truck for hauling to the barn.
Uncle Roy sat me down in his pickup truck. He said, "I want you to drive around this field and knock down these bales that are standing up. Can you do that?" I said I could and was I ever excited. I could sit on the edge of the seat and barely reach the peddles. I did ok and then when we finished he wanted me to follow him home. He was on the tractor and me in the truck. Now I had to actually go down a road, stay out of the ditch and the opposing lane. I don't think I met anyone. We were pretty far off the highway.
We showed up at the house with no accidents and I thought boy I'm somethin now! Uncle Roy never said much more. He expected me to do it and I did. It sure was fun though!

No comments: