Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Minicar

I was 16 and it was summertime. My sis, Pam, and I took a plane to visit my brother and his wife in CA. We stayed about three weeks. We met a lot of people and saw some great sites. I hope to share some of those another time.
When it was time to return home, my brother and his wife, my sister and I all rode in my brother's car. We drove straight through from near Modesto, CA to OKC, OK. Then on down to TX the next day. I think it was something like 28-30 hours to OKC.
The car was a Toyota Corona. It was the smallest car I had ever ridden in. I can't believe we fit 4 people plus all our luggage in the car. There was little room. You got in the car and closed the door. You did not move your legs until you got back out. A couple of times we stopped after riding for hours and my legs had to get the blood moving before I could walk.
The dash had a little bitty blue light. It wasn't noticeable during the day. At night was another matter. It would come on when the compressor for the air conditioner was running. Don't get me wrong because I was extremely grateful for AC especially while crossing the desert. But that light nearly drove me nuts. It was so bright that it didn't help to close your eyes. It came through anyway. I tried to turn my head and then my whole body. That didn't work. Sleep deprivation took over. Irritability set in. One of us finally found some clay or chewing gum to cover the light with. Some times little things can be a big pain. I never saw another light like that again. I'm guessing Toyota had some complaints over that light.
The minicar was dependable, safe and much cheaper travel than airfare. Glad I was through riding though. Whew!

2 comments:

Pam Smith said...

Wow what a ride in that small car get out of the car when we full up with gas the only time we had a chance to move around.
Love Pam

Pam Smith said...

Wow what a ride in that small car get out of the car when we full up with gas the only time we had a chance to move around.
Love Pam